And no, I’m not just going to tell you to try harder.

Happiness is a big part of my life, not just because I’m human and it’s the ultimate goal(maybe soon I’ll tell you why), but because it’s a very hard thing to achieve. And I tend to try extremely hard to do things that I can’t.

I have been relaxed and reading lately, (because it’s spring and spring is the quintessence of calamity and happiness) not just books…but a substantial amount of how to be happy advice. I like it, but I don’t think it’s as comprehensive as it could be.

Maybe the secret to happiness isn’t explained to get you thinking, to get your mind on happy, to ground you with a goal, a mission. Or maybe it’s because nobody knows.

‘Rewire your brain for happiness’.

Now, I know what you’re thinking… how? Isn’t my brain just my brain? Whilst your brain may be your brain, and studies suggest that 33% of your happiness is  down to genetics, that leaves 67% down to your environment, and to your mind. That’s a lot of pressure. But, what if we think about this with reason. If a wire is a subject that carries current in a circuit, then in your brain it must be a neuron carrying impulse. We need to make sure it carries less bad impulse and more good impulse(or releases more endorphins). So we have to rewire, start doing things that make that happen.

Hook the wires up to the right supply.

Here are 10 ways that you can do that.

  1. Eat the foods that you love, in healthy forms. The bread that you so love in a wholemeal form? Well, it’s tasty, so you’re releasing more happy hormones, and it’s healthy, so your body feels good, and that’s gotta make you happier.
  2. Listen to music. There have been a myriad of studies that prove music is good for your mood, and why wouldn’t it be? We only listen to music we like, and why do we like it? Because it makes us happy! Try listening to music and drawing at the same time, or writing, rather than watching TV.
  3. Get flowers. Seriously. Seeing life the moment you wake up or before you go to sleep is a constant reminder that it’s not all bad. It makes you smile, it makes you want to breathe. And breathing is calming. And calm = not stressed, and not stressed= happy.
  4. Make your bed every morning. It’s small, but it works. Since learning this super easy happiness booster from friends and family, I’ve been happier, more relaxed, and feeling more put together.
  5. Keep a diary. I, personally, cannot write what makes me sad in a diary, so I write what makes me happy– and that’s the best part. They force you to think, and they make you relax. It’s something about seeing those words dependent on humans being created that really makes me smile. I digress.
  6. Have less screen time. Your skin gets better, you’re away from internet negativity more often and you get more used to your own skin. It gives you time to focus and helps you order your thoughts away from how many Pinterest boards you have.
  7. In fact, delete all social media accounts. I have one. And only because the people on it can only talk to me on it. It’s so much less negative, and you can be yourself. IT’s horrifying to step back and realise how much time you spend on it and how much you cared about likes and comments. Focus on the sky, and focus on reaching the stars, not the top 10 most liked selfies.
  8. Think more about words and what they literally mean. First of all, you’re thinking more, improving your reasoning skills. For instance, ‘terrific’; my best friend finds it quite annoyingly funny, because it literally means ‘bringing terror’, not something great. See: terror. Also, how about ‘in fact’? It is the action of writing a statement as a fact, but we never really think about it like that. There is something so liberating about figuring things out and seeing the beauty of how humans create words and meanings.
  9. Get more sleep. This is by no means original. But it’s important and should never be forgotten. My thesis is as follows: more sleep is more productivity. And more productivity is more pride. And pride is happiness.
  10. ‘Rewire your brain for happiness.’ This is where I explain. Do all of the above so that you see happiness. Instead of being sad because of one reason, think of the good things about the present moment; if at first this doesn’t work, build your happiness portfolio, do more drawings, look at the sky or the stars.
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s